February 7, 2009
Statement on the 62nd Anniversary of Shan State National Day
The Union of Burma gained the independence on January 4, 1948. It has been enjoying it for 61 years. In the past, our Shan State people had faced with the troubles of World War I and Word War II and after independence, they were still suffering from the oppressions of Burmese junta for decades continuously. Why our people had to live in fear and terror under the control of Burmese dictator? There were many reasons: the honesty of our Shan leaders and at that time, they eagerly to gain freedom speedily, trusted on General Aung San completely, disunity emerged between Shan State People Freedom League (SSPFL) and Shan princes ( Sao Pha) , Shan leaders only paid attention on achievement of independence and not foresee about the future. That’s why, we have been suffering under the Burmese tyrant till now.
We have seen clearly that at first, Shan leaders aimed to build the genuine Union and later if need, they would secede from the Union and form the independent state. That’s why, the historic Panglong Agreement was emerged. As we have honored with the genuine Union that based on Panglong Agreement, we lived in it, but we were cheated by the regime for decades. So that if we continue to accept that kind of union, nothing sillier than us.
Though Sao Shwe Theik became the first president of Union of Burma, it was a very short time and he had no time to prepare protections for his people from the potential problems. Burmese army staged a coup on March 2, 1962 and abrogated the Panglong agreement. Today the Union of Burma is only a fake union. So Shan State people should realize that we were cheated by the cunning Burmese army and we have been losing our nation and homeland to the junta. Thus, Shan State people should be united and fight for our sovereignty.
Some ethnic minority in Shan State demand their rights from Burmese junta is not the right action. SPDC gives some rights to them is to create misunderstanding and grudges among us that toward the dispute over all nationalities in Shan Sate. In fact, the privileges given to the ethic minority is temporary and later SPDC must seize them back. So be aware of its tricky way. We should think that Shan State is belong to all ethnic groups in it and to get our rights and sovereignty we should cooperate and fight with our common enemy together or we will never gain it. Only the rights are shared each other by us will be stable and true. If we are united, the freedom surely will be achieved in our hands.
Our Shan State people had tried to build the union. We have the experiences of building the union and also had been deceived on it by the junta. So, to build the future union, we must be careful. Losing one time in the past taught us as a lesson. If we lose the second time, it means we are idiots. I would like to declare to our Shan State people that Burmese army is the invader and destroyer of union. There is no more union. From the 62nd anniversary of Shan State National Day 2009 onwards, if we will join hands and work together, we surly to regain peace and our sovereignty.
The Root Cause of the Dire Political Problem of Burma
On February 11, 1947, at 09:00am, Gen Aung San had a meeting with Kachin, Chin and Shan leaders and came up with the agreements:
- As it was the time of unity, to include the province with the Kachin State will be confirmed but the state will be recognized later.
- As for the right of secession, it shall be discussed in constituent assembly, it must be according to the wish of the hill tribe people.
- The joining with the Union before independence must not be a hinder to the term of secession.
- After joining the Union, the hill state must have the rights to secede.
- Although they can decide to separate in the constituent assembly, and they are entitled to the rights of reunion if desired.
- To join with the Union, the equal rights and the same statues to the Burmese must be recognized under the democratic system.
- The Union Government has no rights to interfere with the administration of Shan State. The Government of Shan State must have its own constitution.
- The Union Government must not interfere and violate the literature, culture, language and traditional ways of the ethnic.
- The administrative budgets of the hill states must be more than the colonial time.
Restoration Council of Shan State (RCSS)